ATLANTA (AP) — Even after some states have postponed their presidential primaries because of the threat of coronavirus, at least a few Georgia Republicans will...
The Latest: Dallas Opera cancels 2020 Domingo performance
USA By: The Bullet Wire September 5th, 2019 8:16 pm
The Latest on new sexual misconduct allegations against opera star Placido Domingo (all times Eastern):
The Dallas Opera has canceled a 2020 Placido Domingo event due to harassment and groping allegations against the opera superstar.
The opera said Thursday the gala had been set for March 11 but was taken off the calendar due to “ongoing developments regarding allegations made against” Domingo.
Eleven women have come forward in an AP story published Thursday with new allegations of sexual misconduct against Domingo.
In a statement, Domingo’s spokeswoman said the new allegations were riddled with inconsistencies, but she provided no specifics.
Spokeswoman Nancy Seltzer did not immediately respond to an email about the Dallas Opera’s performance cancellation.
Nine women previously told The Associated Press that they had been harassed by the star.
The Los Angeles Opera says it takes new allegations of sexual harassment against Placido Domingo “extremely seriously” but cannot discuss any specific claims because of an ongoing investigation into the star, who serves as the company’s general director.
Eleven women have come forward with new allegations of sexual misconduct against Domingo. They join nine women who told The Associated Press in a story published Aug. 13 that they had been harassed by the star. That initial story prompted LA Opera to open an investigation into Domingo, who has been general director since 2003.
The new accusers included LA Opera backstage staff who said that Domingo’s behavior was common knowledge and that management had been aware of it for decades. Some costume department employees also said they made it a point to keep young female singers away from him.
The Metropolitan Opera in New York said it would continue to await LA Opera’s findings before making any “final decisions” about Domingo’s future at the Met, where he is scheduled to perform starting Sept. 25.
In a statement, Domingo’s spokeswoman called the new allegations “riddled with inconsistencies” but provided no specifics.
Washington National Opera has issued a statement saying it is “disturbed and disheartened” by new allegations in an Associated Press story in which 11 women accuse opera legend Placido Domingo of sexual misconduct.
In the AP story published Thursday, soprano Angela Turner Wilson said Domingo sexually harassed her during a 1999 production of “Le Cid” at the Washington opera company. Wilson said Domingo forcefully grabbed her breast during a makeup session before a performance and on another occasion tried to kiss her in her dressing room and blocked her from leaving until she allowed him to kiss her cheek.
Washington Opera’s statement did not mention Wilson by name and did not say if it plans to investigate her allegations. Wilson performed four seasons with the company and won its “Artist of the Year” award in 2000.
The company added that it appreciated the courage it takes women to come forward with such allegations and noted it has zero tolerance policies with regard to harassment and discrimination.
Domingo’s spokeswoman did not respond to specific accusations, but instead called the allegations “riddled with inconsistencies.” “
Weeks after The Associated Press published a story outlining harassment allegations against opera legend Placido Domingo, new women have come forward to say that the superstar groped them, harassed them or behaved inappropriately.
Eleven women shared new stories about encounters with Domingo, who is currently the general director of LA Opera. One woman said he forcefully grabbed her breast under her robe backstage in 1999 and others said his actions included unwanted touching or attempts to kiss them.
Several backstage employees described for the AP how they strove to shield young women from the superstar as administrators looked the other way, as recently as LA Opera’s 2016-2017 season.
In a statement, Domingo’s spokeswoman called the allegations “riddled with inconsistencies” but provided no specifics.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Featured & Breaking
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Thursday that it was replacing the acting chief of the National Counterterrorism Center, part of an ongoing leadership...
NEW YORK (AP) — Before President Donald Trump stepped into the White House briefing room to provide an update on the coronavirus, an opening act...
WASHINGTON (AP) — Insisting the federal government is not a “shipping clerk,” President Donald Trump on Thursday called on states to do more to secure...
"Unless you believe we’re governed by shape-shifting space lizards — your darkest suspicions about how the world operates are likely an underestimate."
(The Intercept)- AS I READ The Devil’s Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America’s Secret Government, a new book by Salon founder David...